LIVE Online Catechism Classes
with Fr. John A. Peck
ASONA offers several Online Catechism Classes which you can participate in. The teacher is Fr. John Peck. Classes are taught LIVE, and though recorded, each class is a live presentation of the topic, allowing for live question, answers, and interactive discussion.
We have online class on Monday nights at 7 pm (Arizona time), and Friday afternoons at 3 pm – you are welcome to participate.
The Catechism class is intended for those who have already been through the New Member Class.
If you have not attended or participated in a New Member Class, you should get in touch with Fr. John to make arrangements to attend one and then get permission to join the online Catechism Class.
Topics rotate through 20 lessons, and include the following:
1. Trinitarian Theology / One God the Father, the Son of God, the Holy Spirit of God; God is Love, is Personal and is Humble
2. Christology – Ecumenical Councils 1 to 6
3. Iconography: An extension Christology – 7th Ecumenical Council
4. Creation, The Fall / Original Sin / The Orthodox rejection of the doctrines of inheritance of the guilt of Original Sin and of Total Depravity
5. What Salvation is not /Theories of Atonement rejected by the Orthodox
6. What Salvation is: Salvation as Therapeutic / God as “Lover of Mankind”
7. Salvation as a Process of Struggle – of Purification, Illumination and Theosis
8. Ascension and Resurrection / The Spirituality of Matter
9. Judgment / The Afterlife / Heaven and Hell (Hades, Gehennah, Sheol) The Divine Light of God: A Consuming Fire/Hearts of Wax or of Clay?
10. The Ever Virgin, Theotokos and Mother of God
11. Authority: Church and Holy Scriptures
12. Which Came First: The Church or the New Testament?
13. Fasting and Asceticism / Days and Seasons of Fasting
14. On Biblical Principles for Finance, Tithing and Stewardship
15. One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church / Apostolic Succession
16. Sacraments: The Holy Mysteries of the Church
17. Eucharistic Theology / Communion and Church Discipline
18. On Prayer, Rules of Prayer, Use of the Prayer Rope
19. The Roots of Ancient Worship – Temple Worship, Synagogue Worship, Christian Worship
20. Church Etiquette /holy Tradition and local customs
Sign up for one of our Online Catechism Classes